Runaway gravy train: 11 claims by 1920, over 2000 now
by John Ansell
The Dominion Post has published this excellent letter from author and journalist Mike Butler.
Mike is one of a team of researchers who’ve been advising me on Treaty issues for the past year.
His file of all Treaty settlements since 1989 on Muriel Newman’s NZCPR site is the most comprehensive I’ve seen.
In supporting my Colourblind State referendum, Mike points out that
Treaty Negotiations Minister Chris Finlayson calls Mr Ansell’s campaign “nuts”, but in his rush to get through a pile of settlements, he seems unaware that major claims were settled before 1960.
With 2034 claims lodged by 2009 but only 11 claims brought to Parliament in 1920, it’s clear that now money is the motivator.
Ngai Tahu’s ongoing rort
- 1867 — Ngai Tahu Full and Final Settlement 1
- 1906 — Ngai Tahu Full and Final Settlement 2
- 1944 — Ngai Tahu Full and Final Settlement 3
- 1973 — Ngai Tahu Full and Final Settlement 4
- 1998 — Ngai Tahu Full and Final Settlement 5
- 2012 — Ngai Tahu Not So Full and Final 17% Top-up.
Thanks Mike for all your great work and support.